Monday, February 19, 2018

Social Networking Sites

Today everyone uses some form of social media to communicate to each other, to share their day, and to get their news, among many other things. Today, we will look at four social networking sites and analyze my reaction and input about each one.
The first one we will tackle is Facebook. Facebook began in 2004 and has evolved to become a platform consisting of over one billion active users. For me, Facebook is too informational. There's a lot going on. The first thing I notice is the updates on my friends post, most of which I'm not too interested in. To the right of the page I see what's trending, each trend connects to a link to a news page. I also see Advertisement banners, which reflect the last items I've been searching up on Amazon. Of course, I'm not shocked. Overall, I don't enjoy the idea of Facebook, unless I do find myself wanting to connect with friends and family from around the world.
Now, moving on to Twitter. Twitter is more straightforward and news friendly. As I mentioned earlier, Facebook has news, however, they're not all reliable sources. Twitter keeps me updated on the latest news and updates things I rely on everyday, like the Subway. Twitter also keeps me updated on my friends thoughts throughout the day, however, most people do not write extremely long posts, like Facebook. Twitter keeps it short and concise for busy people. We're able to see whats trending and the latest news in a quick second. Twitter is also personalized based on our interest, for example, sports, news, entertainment, and more. Twitter is great for a busy individual who want easy access at their fingertip.
Now, moving on to Instagram, which is what most millennials use. Instagram is easy to use and it's main purpose is communicating to your friends by posting pictures. People are able to post pictures of their interest and develop their profile to reflect their interest and personality. Instagram also created the "Instagram story", which is a part of instagram, allowing users to share their day and have it expire within 24 hours. Instagram is millennial friendly and allows individuals to communicate through images while choosing to remain private or public.
Last, but not least, Snapchat. Prior to it's update, Snapchat was very user friendly and convenient. Now, it's clutters and geared towards advertisements. Snapchat has disappointed its users by updating their software to drive more advertisement revenues, however, they're angering consumers. Snapchat allows you to send images to friends that disappear after it has been opened. This is also geared towards millennials, allowing them to also post images that disappear within 24 hours and allows them to monitor who saves their images and posts. I personally liked snapchat before the update that created a cluttered mess, however, now I find myself avoiding it.
Overall, these platforms all deliver personalized user experience depending on the consumers choice. For me, I would choose Instagram and Twitter as my preferred platforms because of the organized presentation and straightforward content.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wiki so far

Some of the main contributions I've made so far to wiki include. In each of these sections I wrote a paragraph or more going more in dep...